Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
AT L.L.BEAN, WE BELIEVE BEING OUTSIDE BRINGS OUT THE BEST IN EVERYONE.
This same concept applies inside the company, where we value individuality and encourage our colleagues to be themselves. However, we must acknowledge that the outdoor industry and outdoor recreation has not traditionally been accessible or readily available to everyone. As a 110-year-old company at the center of the outdoor retail industry, we have a responsibility to use our voice, our platform, and our resources to help.
Together, with our employees, we are working to make L.L.Bean a place of work that lives up to our values.
We’ve pledged to continue the advancement of our diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts by making DEI one of our strategic corporate goals. We currently have two groups across the organization, focused on championing marketplace initiatives and internal business practices. The Marketplace Team assess product creation, marketing and communication efforts to ensure we are leveraging our assets to help impact positive change. The Internal Workforce and Workplace Team is focused on the internal policies, learning and culture across our global organization.
Ongoing Workplace Efforts
We want to ensure that we have an inclusive culture, equitable work environment and an engaged, diverse workforce where employees can experience a sense of connection and belonging.
- We continue to expand professional development training focused on inclusive leadership, cultural competency and inclusive hiring for employees at all levels. We also work with experts to deliver Mental Health training to area leaders.
- Nearly 1,200 frontline and operations-focused employees participating in unconscious bias training.
- Policies surrounding dress code and name changes have been reviewed to ensure inclusive practices are in place.
- Established Employee Business Resource Groups for Veteran, LGBTQ+ and BIPOC employees, intended to provide connection, development, retention, recognition and celebration of cultural moments, and provide guidance on key business insights
- Organized more than 500 employees and their families to participate in Portland Pride
Recruitment and Hiring
In collaboration with business and government leaders in the Outdoor Industry and the State of Maine, we are committed to attracting and recruiting underrepresented groups.
- Required training for hiring managers and interview panels to reduce bias in the hiring process is in process.
- Set a goal to recruit 50% of our 2022 interns from underrepresented groups and we are actively working with other Maine-based corporations to attract more diverse candidates to the state.
- We have also committed to working with freelance talent and external agencies led by or inclusive of underrepresented groups specifically BIPOC, women, and LGBTQ+.
Outdoor Access Partners
Through Outdoor Access we want to help as many people as possible experience the restorative power of the outdoors.
- We have partnered with the Portland Chamber of Commerce to help initiate and sign the Standing in Solidarity Pledge – promoting racial and social justice across businesses in Maine.
- Leveraging the L.L.Bean Community Fund and Outdoor Access Fund, we’ve invested $6 million in a broad range of organizations and initiatives that support outdoor access and community support for all including:
- Invested $5.5 million in outdoor programs and community partnerships, enabling 18 million people to experience the restorative power of time outside
- Launched a two-year, $500,000 partnership with Mental Health America to fund community programs and grants aimed at creating connection, inclusion and wellbeing in the outdoors
- Reached 4.6 million children and youth at 4,700 Boys and Girls Clubs of America through a first-of-its-kind Outdoor Social Recreation Playbook and hands-on learning program
- Enabled 8,000 youth to attend summer camps through a $1 million partnership with YMCA and local camps in Maine and beyond
- Supported Out There Adventures with a donation from our Pride Collection
More on our Partners here
Until all of our employees, customers, influencers and content creators are able to safely experience the value of time spent outside, we will continue to amplify broader perspectives through our social channels, marketing and products.
- We are leveraging our L.L.Bean social media channels to amplify diverse voices and perspectives about the importance of time outside as well as equal outdoor access and body positivity.
- Our marketing organization continues to expand product and imagery to focus on including more diverse body types and shifting imagery to include more historically underrepresented groups.