Our Sustainability Efforts
Activating Our Purpose for the Future
Our team at L.L.Bean is committed to ensuring sustainable and responsible practices across our business, from the materials we use to the vendors we work with to the causes for which we support. We’re on a constant mission to care for all of our stakeholders: our customers, employees, vendors, communities and the natural environment.
Investing in Sustainable Practices and Material Use
- Committed to eliminating the use of PFAS in L.L.Bean-labeled products by the end of 2024
- Funded the L.L.Bean PFAS Solutions Research Program at the University of Maine through a $150,000 post-doctoral endowment to identify remediation solutions
- Continued to use 100% Responsible Down in all down products, and over the past 5 years, increased the use of Responsible Cotton, Recycled Nylon and Recycled Polyester by 80%, equating to 1.7 million pounds in the past 5 years
- Simultaneously increased the use of Bluesign verified materials by 265%
- Last year we eliminated 600,000 pounds of plastic by shifting to recyclable paper packaging on 75% of outbound goods, with a goal to provide 100% plastic-free shipping by 2025
- In 2022, we recycled 87% of waste in our Maine facilities
- Our partners completed 3 solar projects throughout Maine in order to generate electricity for our stores and headquarters from local renewable energy sources
- We implemented sustainable construction practices for the build-out of our corporate headquarters, including material reuse, land regeneration and energy efficiency
- Additional Electric Vehicle Charging stations were added at our Flagship Store and corporate headquarters in support of the transition to beneficial electrification.
The Right Sustainable Partners
We work together with the world’s most trusted industry leading organizations to ensure the highest standards are used when making our products. Here are just some of our key partners:
“My great-grandfather L.L. was a conservationist, understanding the connection between the joy of the outdoors and the need to protect our precious resources. Land access and preservation has always been one of L.L.Bean's core values.”
Shawn Gorman, Executive Chairman of the Board and Great-Grandson of L.L. Bean
Learn More About Our Sustainability Efforts
Every product we make is thoughtfully designed with the outdoors in mind. Our products are designed to last a long time which has a lower impact on the environment.
Whether our products are made in Maine or across the globe, everyone plays an important role in helping achieve exceptional quality and sustainability.