Rated 4 out of 5 by Brookz Nice Pack
Great pack with lots of options for carrying your gear. My only complaint is that the zippers are a little noisy. That being said I don't know if there are other options. I would definitely recommend.
October 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GBkid HUNTER'S LUMBAR PACK
This is just the ticket for all your hunting gear (like we don't have enough gear)!
My only reserve is the pack is most likely made for the "average 6' tall" person. Being of the 5'4" variety, this rides a little low at the hips but it is still doable. Needing to wear a heavy sweater and jacket posed no problem with adjustments. Well worth the money!
December 5, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by TwinDrakes Wanted to like this but...
I'm into my second season using this pack. I really wanted to like this, and switch to something smaller than a regular backpack, but maybe this just isn't for me...
1. The elastic ammo loops are too loose. I have had .45-70 cartridges fall out, so am afraid to put anything else in. I've stopped using them.
2. The sternum strap slides up constantly. I adjust it, and within a couple hundred feet of walking, it has slid back up into the 'choke me' position. And then the shoulder straps are no longer in position either.
3. The belt pockets make the whole pack seem too bulky to me. I am forever hitting them with my arms, and I can't sling my rifle over a shoulder... they push the butt out, which makes it slide off. Not a huge deal, but annoying. They also seem to catch on everything, but maybe I just hunt in unusually brushy areas.
4. The water bottle pocket is way to small. Won't fit anything but the smallest of store bought plastic bottles. I can't get a Nalgene or Kleen Kanteen to fit.
5. I find the buckles and zippers to be noisy unless I zip/buckle VERY slowly.
6. There is no room on the waist built to clip anything. I guess the thinking is you'll put those items in the pockets, but I like to keep my GPS (for example) on my belt or shoulder strap so it can record tracks.
On the plus side:
1. If you like to be organized to the nines, this pack will help you do it! Many of the pockets have internal pockets and dividers as well to help keep things where you want them.
2. Lots of space. In the main pocket, I've fit rain bibs, rain jacket, winter hat, big mittens, extra socks, and glove liners. I had to crush it down a bit, but it fit.
3. Typical bomb proof construction I've come to expect from LL bean.
4. Comfortable (except for my sternum strap issue), even when loded to the gills with gear.
5. That too small water bottle pocket is just right for a can of buck bomb.
Bottom line- most of my issues with this pack are probably personal issues related to the way I like to hunt. I have zero complaints about the construction. A sternum strap that stays put, a bigger water bottle pocket and snugger ammo elastic would make me happier. But beyond those 3 issues, all my complaints are more me and my preferences than the pack. Fix those 3 and I'd give it four to five stars.
November 12, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by ally1998 Not too good for the mobile hunter
Used this pack recently in Canada and it works well for stand hunting or accessing things when stopped. Not good for grabbing things while on the move. Also, for a day pack it is quite heavy. For the type of hunting I do which is still hunting, this pack does not work well. I am 5'10" tall and 170 pounds for reference.
November 10, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by KBinGreenMts Nice features, but also not so nice features
The M/L size is advertised as fitting waist sizes 30"-38"; not true.
My guy could easily pull the pack right off when it was fully cinched, and his waist is 32". It should probably say fits waist sizes 34" - ?"
The water bottle pouch is too small to fit a standard Nalgene bottle. Forget about a 40 ounce Kleen Kanteen as well. If you have to store the bottle inside the pack, that wastes valuable space for other things like clothes or binoculars!
October 22, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by davidrje comfortable,lots of storage, easy to open
holds everything old fanny pack and more, pockets easy to open and lots of room for hunting items and supplies,
September 27, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Crazy2huntHogs Awesome Lumbar pack
From the first time I started going through the pack, I knew I was going to like it. I'd researched a number of other packs from other sources, but they all had some chronic problem. One in particular was the zipper tabs breaking off. This Hunter's Lumbar pack doesn't have tabs, it has para-cords pull handles, real easy to use, and they're silent.
The little quick-snap-on packlet that's attached to the straps between the shoulder blades seemed a little funky to me at first, until I realized that it was a great place to keep things I'd only need when the pack was off, like rubber gloves, bow string wax, etc. It's hard to reach while wearing the pack.
By adjusting the straps, I was able to make the pack float on me, so that I hardly even felt the weight. And I had it loaded down with lots of stuff. Like some others, I notice my hands occasionally touch the side bags, but I'm usually carrying a weapon or using a walking stick, so that's a non-issue for me. The fact that the lumbar strap holds it close to me, and the shoulder straps help distribute the weight, that's a big thing for me, as I always seem to end up climbing something, whether it be rocks or a tree. It's never in my way.
The water bottle bag is too small for the water bottle I have to carry here in Texas, where it's always like an oven. In Maine, it would probably have been fine for a day-pack water bottle, though I'd probably stow a second one somewhere. As it is, I just re-purposed that pouch to hold a camou-cover.
It's tough, and seems to be well-thought-out.
I'm extremely pleased with this pack. It is bigger than it looks, and holds a lot.
April 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by CSnow Great Pack System
I purchased this backpack for a recent Whitetail dear hunt in Canada hoping it would shift most of the carry weight lower and free up my shoulders for easier shooting.
The pack performed well, lived up to my expectations, and was comfortable even after a 10 mile day. Pocket layout is well thought out and reachable with the pack on. Roomy enough for a full day in the bush. Very happy with the purchase, quality and fit.
October 24, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by RetiredNavySeal Hunters Lumbar Pack
My wife and I are extremely Happy with the purchase of 2 ( two ) "Hunter Lumbar Packs ". We've used them on six different Hikes so far .We find them to be very comfortable on our shoulders and Hips . No matter what type of movement you are doing , the pack "rides " well. The compartments have a place for " Everything " . The pack is sewn well and is very quiet . We can't wait until our next "outing ".
September 19, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by revlloy Really Useful
I went from a backpack to this butt pack. I won't go back. I was able to carry a lot of stuff, plus it was organized. I could backpack my climbing tree stand over this pack. Also, I was able to clip the butt pack to the tree above my head and have access to what I need. This pack is supper comfortable to wear and is easy on/easy off.
Only negative: I wish there were more places to hang things on.
March 7, 2012