L.L.Bean was founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood (L.L.) Bean and transformed by his grandson Leon Gorman into a globally recognized outdoor brand. Headquartered in Freeport, Maine, L.L.Bean is a privately held, family-owned company. We do not release financial and operational information beyond what you will find here and do not produce an annual report.
- Launched in 1995, llbean.com is among the top-rated websites in the industry. There were over 1.6 million visits on Cyber Monday, 2016.
- We are continually enhancing our website to provide a first-class customer experience. Customers can shop thousands of products, book a course with our Outdoor Discovery Schools®, find store information and much more.
- In 2011, L.L.Bean launched its mobile commerce site at m.llbean.com.
- Our iPhone mobile app was launched in 2015 and has become one of our fastest-growing channels.
- L.L.Bean maintains a strong presence on social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.
RETAIL & OUTLET STORES
- L.L. opened his original store in Freeport in 1917. Our flagship store still stands on this site, now at over 200,000 square feet. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and has not had locks on the doors since 1951. The store includes a trout pond, 3,500-gallon fish tank, cafe and coffee shop.
- The seven-acre Freeport campus also includes the Bike, Boat & Ski Store; Hunting & Fishing Store; Home Store; a 16-foot L.L.Bean Boot sculpture and Discovery Park, home to summer concerts and other outdoor events. It draws over 3 million visitors each year.
- L.L.Bean operates 30 retail stores outside of Maine – spanning as far south as Virginia and as far west as Colorado – as well as 10 outlets. More locations are being added every year, including six set to open in 2017.
- Since 1979, our Outdoor Discovery Schools – offered at every retail store – have helped customers enjoy outdoor activities and learn new skills. Programs range from a few hours to multiday trips and include adventure trips, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, fly casting and fly fishing, biking, snowshoeing, kids’ camps and more. Over 150,000 people participated in programs in 2016.
- In 2016, we mailed catalogs to customers in every state and over 150 countries.
- L.L.Bean Direct to Business provides L.L.Bean products and gift cards to corporate customers for group outfitting, special events, customer recognition and employee rewards. It offers easy ordering and logo setup, expert personalization and volume discounts.
- L.L.Bean opened its first international retail store in Tokyo in 1992 and now operates 25 stores and outlets in Japan, where we also maintain a dedicated website, contact center and distribution center. L.L.Bean also has a large and growing customer base in Canada.
- Our global website serves over 200 countries and territories. Product prices are converted into over 60 currencies, and accurate tax and duty calculations are provided.
- The Customer Service department, based right here in Maine – where we have two contact centers – operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- L.L.Bean’s reputation for outstanding customer service is frequently recognized through industry awards and honors, as well as direct feedback from our customers.
MANUFACTURING & DISTRIBUTION
- Manufacturing facilities are located in Brunswick and Lewiston, Maine, where over 600 employees produce such iconic products as the Maine Hunting Shoe®, the L.L.Bean Boot and the Boat and Tote®. Customer demand for the iconic L.L.Bean Boot remains high – over 630,000 pairs in 2016.
- Our manufacturing facilities are part of OSHA’s prestigious Voluntary Protection Program for making safety and health a top priority.
- L.L.Bean’s expanded distribution center located in Freeport, Maine, is a million-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility. It processes an average of 45,000 customer orders a day and can store over 10 million units of merchandise. Over 14.5 million packages were shipped in 2016 – nearly 1 million packages in our busiest week.
- In 2012, L.L.Bean celebrated its 100th anniversary by unveiling the Bootmobile – a 13-foot-high, 20-foot-long, road-ready replica of the iconic L.L.Bean Boot. A second Bootmobile was added in 2013. The Bootmobiles travel the country to inspire people to get outside.
ENVIRONMENTAL & SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We believe in making great products – and making things right. That means using sustainable resources wherever possible and doing everything we can to safeguard the environment. Here are some of the steps we’re taking.
- The company began a recycling program over two decades ago and currently recycles over 83% of its waste.
- Catalog paper is sustainably sourced and made from 10%-20% recycled content.
- In 2003, L.L.Bean became the first Maine company to use biodiesel in its heavy-duty truck fleet.
- L.L.Bean is committed to building all new facilities with sustainability in mind, incorporating environmentally friendly features such as plenty of natural light, renewable building materials, energy efficient lighting and mechanical systems and more. L.L.Bean currently has 20 facilities that meet the US Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards.
- Solar hot-water collectors used at the Freeport flagship store and corporate offices allow L.L.Bean to cut its propane usage by 50% during winter and 100% during the warmer months.
- In the last 10 years, L.L.Bean has contributed nearly $26 million to a variety of organizations supporting outdoor recreation, conservation and stewardship of our natural resources.
2016 AWARD HIGHLIGHTS
- Forbes magazine: rated #16 on America’s Most Reputable Companies list
- StellaService: received Elite Overall Award
- Foresee Answers: tied for #3 in overall web shopping customer satisfaction and ranked #2 in the apparel/accessories category
- Forbes magazine: rated #1 on America’s Best Mid-Size Employers list
- Fortune magazine: placed on 100 Best Workplaces for Women list
- Brand Keys: named one of America’s most patriotic brands