Rated 5 out of 5 by anonymous36 Perfect Coat
This is a high quality canvas down coat. Great fit, and looks well made, also very warm. Should hold up well for hunting and looks nice enough to wear to dinner.
March 10, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by skipjack My new best - winter - friend.
What a time to put a winter coat though the tests - warmth, comfortable fit, style, etc. - late Jan. and Feb 2015 in the northeast. Will it ever stop snowing. Wanted to be warm and was looking for the big puffy down coat, but Bean was out until May, huh? Anyway looking for down I thought I would try the cotton/down jacket. After I ordered I read the reviews - no inside pocket, too long sleeves, dirt magnet etc. There is an inside zippered pocket large enough for cell phone, wallet and other valuables. Too long sleeves, this is not a coat to wear in the late Spring, Summer or early Fall, it is a Winter coat. Love the sleeves down to my knuckles, combined with great hand warmer pockets, I'm good to go on cold winter days. The waxed cotton does pick up dirt, but it is easily cleaned - damp cloth. Great protection from rain and snow. Was not available in stores so I ordered one to try out, can always return to Bean. Love the coat and would recommend to anyone who wants to stay warm this winter.
February 18, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by JoefromCocomo Great fit and warm
I just received this coat. Construction looks good. The coat is very warm and keeps the wind out. Hasn't seen any rain yet. I called LL Bean, they said I can treat it with Filson's wax as needed. As others have mentioned the sleeves are long. I have 35/36 sleeve, the sleeve hits between base of thumb and knuckles. This is fine with me, the XL fits perfect, plenty of room for a sweater underneath.
January 28, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by golf47 Waxed Cotton Down Coat
Love this jacket - down warmth without the Michelin man look. Some have complained about the loden color being almost black - they must be standing in the dark. In the normal light, it's the color advertised. Rugged and our go to coat in the cold or snowy weather.
January 21, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by NJHal 3 things to know
1-sleeves are long. I have a 32 sleeve and a medium is just a tad long in the sleeves. 2-Coats care instructions do not include washer or dry cleaning. 3-Unlike other down coats, coat feels heavy and substantial when wearing.
January 14, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Logsplitter61 Great Winter Jacket
After wearing this jacket for a few weeks in cold, wet weather, I have absolutely no complaints! The jacket is warm and comfortable with the quality I have come to expect from LL Bean.
I am 6'2 and 185 pounds, and a regular large is a perfect fit.
As opposed to other reviews, my experience is that the waxed cotton fabric gives off no odor whatsoever, and the loden color is a nice dark green as portrayed in the product descriptions and pictures.
I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a good foul weather winter jacket.
January 14, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by willysman waterproof
I bought this coat for deer hunting due to being waterproof and having goose down. Well made coat but the color was too dark, not loden as advertised. Sleeves much too long as other reviews had noted. Collected dirt and debris like a magnet. Might be alright for casual wear but this was not my purpose. Sent it back for a refund
December 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by CatHerder Gets the job done excellently, function over form
- Not too puffy/bulky
- Excellently warm
- Performs well in the rain
- Handwarmer pockets are soft and deep
- Also has big unlined pockets perfect for holding gloves, hat, scarf
- Not ugly, per se, but not fashionable. You probably won't get compliments if you're looking for them
- Sleeves run long (I'm 5'9.5", 185 lbs, average build. coat is medium size). I resolved this by folding them back a bit
- No "hidden pocket" on the inside of the jacket. Obviously not a big deal, but every winter coat I've ever owned has had one or two and I'm sad there isn't one here
- Collar is high enough to guard against cool/cold wind and moderate chill, but you'll want a scarf for really cold, windy days
- No hood. This doesn't bother me as I don't like a hood on my winter coat, but something to keep in mind if you do
- Fit is snug enough so wind doesn't get in, but the cut of the coat is roomy enough to allow for layering underneath. Again, this makes for a less form fitting (and less sexy) coat, but when it comes to staying warm in the winter, function trumps form every time
- Haven't had the coat long enough to comment on the longevity or performance of the proofing outside of a light early winter rain
December 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by mikdvm review coat
I am very pleased with this coat. It exceeded my expectations.
December 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GardenStateGuy Everything I wanted
I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but I am wearing it all the time. I love waxed cotton - I have several such jackets - but none are insulated. This jacket is very warm and fits well. The drawcord on the waist is a good touch on windy days. I wore it in a downpour and it kept me dry without dampening the down. Although some say the sleeves are too long, they don't seem that way to me (I wear 33 inch sleeves on dress shirts. It does seem something of a dust magnet but not alarmingly so. It is a little too warm for temperatures above the high 40s. Heavier than a conventional down jacket. All in all, a wonderful product that will get me through the worst winter storms.
December 10, 2014