Rated 5 out of 5 by PedalGirl Carryall, yes. Briefcase, no.
Overall, this is a nice, practical, high quality bag and I'm very pleased with it. Because it is exactly what I was looking for, I am giving it five stars based on how it fits my own needs. I am only listing "Cons" based on how the bag was presented in the description and how I believe it differs from what was said.
- Excellent LL Bean quality. Lightweight but durable. No doubt this will last for years.
- Lots of storage space and pockets makes it easy to "customize" how you use the bag; you aren't locked into any sort of configuration.
- Looks small but has lots of room.
- Looks good, I'd call it "business casual."
- No padding. If you will be using it to carry a laptop or tablet, you will want to purchase a padded sleeve.
- The term "carryall" is more accurate for what this bag is. I wouldn't call it a briefcase. The large, main compartment does not have any sort of dividers. However, it is quite roomy so it will easily accommodate file folders. I believe that the "dividers" to which LL Bean is referring is the fact that it has three separate pockets in addition to the small zip pocket on the front: a zip-up compartment on the back of the bag, the main "top loading" compartment, and a non-zippered pocket under the front flap.
- The pad on the shoulder strap is sewn in place, which makes the strap adjustable only to a certain point. I am 5'3" tall and I have the strap as short as it will go and it is mostly okay. Would prefer it to go a little shorter. So if you are short, the bag may not be comfortable if you'll be using the shoulder strap for long periods of time.
- Although the pockets are plentiful and useful, the design could use a bit of updating. For example: there's a zip pocket that appears to have been designed to carry 3.5" floppy disks. Obviously not a priority these days. There's a little pouch for a cell phone, but its design is pre-smartphone. A flip phone or an older cellphone will fit in it, but there's no dedicated space to hold a modern smartphone.
- The bag doesn't have a stiff bottom, so unless it's quite full, it will fall over when set down.
February 21, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by indyducktor Not so much as described
Like many of the less positive reviews, I found the briefcase lacking in several areas, although it did have a useful organization area on the front flap, and was generally a roomy bag.
.. The shoulder strap was too long, even when adjusted to its shortest length.
.. There are no "built in dividers". There is a pocket on the back, a pocket under the front flap, and a huge open area which is the main compartment. But it has no divisions.
.. There is a large flap on the front, with 2 fasteners, making it more like a messenger bag. With supplies stored in the pockets and organizational section, the bag falls forward and will not sit upright.
.. The nylon material has an unusual pattern and is shiny. I bought the green color and thought it had a cheap appearance. I don't think it's a serious looking briefcase.
.. There is no built in padding, so a computer or tablet would need its own protective case.
If the above issues don't matter, then the briefcase may be appealing. It's a lot of bag for the money, just not the one for me. I will be returning it.
February 5, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Lovescatalogs No inner dividers to keep papers intact
I love the color, weight, and price of this briefcase, but should have listened to the reviewers who said their papers slid around inside. I bought this to carry large stacks of student papers, and they go all over the place. I've tried to add rigid pieces from old briefcases to provide some rigidity and definition. Very disappointing, alas. You need to fix this for the next model, please.
January 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by sportsenthusiast An excellent Christmas gift.
We had given this same Messenger bag to our grandson several years ago. After finding he had completely worn it out, we checked to see if he would like another one. Yes, he would like another one and one exactly like he had. There is no better recommendation than this. Perfect size for his needs and has worn well.
Would highly recommend.
December 30, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by bbbteacher Carryall briefcase
Love, love my new briefcase! Plenty of storage and organization area.
December 26, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by golferlin The batg
A bit too light. Should be sturdier and made of a heavier material.
Needs center pockets
December 18, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by LLBguy89 Okay Briefcase
This briefcase is okay, not great but okay. I have carried it about 3 years and it has held up very well. It shows almost no wear after almost daily useage. It's down falls are that it has no padding at all and isn't very comfortable to carry. The strap is terrible, very uncomfortable, but the price is right. If I had it to do over again , I probably would spend the extra money and get the Sportsmans model. if you look at how well it has held up it is up to LL Bean standards.
November 20, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by BeanBoyJr Well-built, hope it lasts
I bought the carbon color bag - which actually seems more greenish in color. A nice color, though. A little heavy - probably could've done without the flap - I'm not sure what it's there for. I use this for some papers and tablet; hoping someday that you make a version for tablets (do people still lug their laptops around?) that's slightly smaller. I like the unstructured aspect of the bag. Hard to find bags that aren't too stiff and can't expand and be stuffed with things when needed.
October 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by CanineCompanion Carryall Briefcase
Some of the reviews on this briefcase gave me pause, but I am so glad I purchased it. I prefer the one large space for packing what I need. There are additional zippered areas for other items and I find the quality quite acceptable. This briefcase was also purchased with the Carryall Underseat Bag and I can travel anywhere with them for two weeks or more. I have used this briefcase for four months now and am totally pleased with my purchase.
September 15, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by strategicshopper Well made item, great carry all!
I got this bag as a gift for my husband to replace his work bag that was falling apart. My husband was impressed with the bag because it is constructed very well and has lots of pockets. It is also a very perfessional looking bag which was very important because my husband is a nurse. I had my husbands initials monogrammed on the bag and it looks wonderful! The bags shoulder strap has metal hardware which was very impressive. This bag will allow him to carry his lunch in the main pocket while also having a different pocket for important papers. I am so glad I ordered this bag, it should last him for several years.
July 12, 2013