Rated 3 out of 5 by ThePostman Got this for both wife & me.
I've had no issues but my wife swears she got soaked in this during a medium heavy rain recently. It was purchased 3 or 4 yers ago in post holiday sale.
May 29, 2016
Rated 1 out of 5 by paultheretiree Packed for return within 30 minutes.
Purchased for my wife as a birthday gift.
Problem with the zipper immediately. Stuck trying to zipper it up for the first time. I had to lift the jacket over her head to remove it, and then figure out how to unzip it.
She also considered it very overpriced for what it is. This from a woman with a half dozen Louis Vuitton Handbags, and loving every one.
One of our very few disappointments from LL Bean.
May 4, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by Alli99 Passable
I've had this jacket for several months, but don't wear it often. I'd wear it more, but there are some very annoying features. If I adjust the hood to fit my head comfortably it does not lay flat against my upper back when not using it. I have to fiddle with it so it doesn't stick out. Can't just put the jacket on and go. The fabric is very stiff and noisy. The pit zips can only be zipped open or closed if someone else operates them while I'm wearing the jacket or I have to take the jacket off to operate them which makes no sense if it's raining. I have North Face jackets with pit zips that work easily and assumed the llb jacket would also. I probably should have returned it, but I like the gray color, two way front zipper and it seems to be water proof.
May 1, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by soulnurse This jacket is a winner
I was skeptical at first based on cost regarding whether this shell could really prove its worth. After one week including a hike in a snow fall the answer is absolutely. It is the perfect shell in a variety of conditions especially windy with any precipitation. I love the zippers you can open if you start to feel overheated. There are a variety of pull cords around the hood so you can get just the right fit. I wear a size 12 and the large was perfect for layering over a polar fleece. The pockets are extra deep and it is super light for folding and packing. One reviewer was bothered by the noise it makes. It's true... when I first put it on I chuckled at the noise but after a while all the other benefits outweigh it and you barely notice it. Also love the pink color I got!
April 10, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by EscapeVelocity Love Gore-Tex Pro!
When I bought an earlier version of this jacket online, I didn't know much about Gore-Tex other than it's supposed to be very waterproof. I picked this jacket because of the pit zippers; I commute year-round in Boston by bicycle. I needed a good waterproof jacket in a petite medium with pit zippers for good ventilation and a hood that would fit over a helmet. Try getting that from any other major outdoor retailer and you'll find it's *very* hard to do at any price.
I wore it daily while bike commuting and found as long as I properly ventilated and layered appropriately I stayed warm and dry no matter what weather Boston threw at me. After wearing it for two seasons, I decided that everyone in the family needed this jacket and since then each year we've replaced other jackets with this shell. I now sing the praises of Gore-Tex Pro, and this LL Bean jacket in particular, to friends and family.
With this shell and, as needed, proper under layers (the 850 downtek jacket or vest work very well) this serves as a minimalist all-purpose, all-seasons jacket. It's well worth the money. LL Bean delivers on quality.
February 28, 2016
Rated 2 out of 5 by wetclimate Disappointed
This is an expensive jacket, so I expected considerably more.
I do like a two way zipper, but it is really hard to mate the ends when the jacket is open. The long sleeves are fantastic, keeps the rain out of the gloves. The color is okay, but when are manufacturers going to make classic colors for women's outdoor gear rather than colors that will say "oh, that is so 2015" when people comment in a few years?
The sizing - my body (measured over a T shirt) is the very smallest for the size I ordered and LL Bean chat claimed it fit over a medium weight layer. Yes, it is true that it will fit over a medium layer if I don't mind looking like a stuffed sausage. This is not acceptable as I usually wear a rain jacket with a medium layer.
It is noisy. Every move is crinkle crinkle snap pop, and I can't hear the birds or the wind in the trees. I like to sneak through the forest on a rainy day without every creature knowing where I am from 1/2 a mile away. I have other Gortex garments, and have had for decades. It should be getting better, not worse.
It will be returned. My search for a fine jacket continues.
November 25, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by bblack1048 Just what I needed!
I purchased this jacket in 2014 along with the Stowaway Gore Tex. I picked the Pro Shell because of it's attractive fit and stretch. I've worn it while walking my dogs in the rain, kayaking down a river during the fall and winter months, XC skiing, shoveling snow and while standing in the pouring rain during a St. Paddy's day parade in Scranton, PA.
The jacket kept me dry, kept the wind out and was flexible when worn over my many layers. The hood and it's depth is adjustable and has a nice brim to keep the rain from hitting my glasses. The jacket is light weight and I can compress it into the hood to pack it in my backpack or suitcase.
I did wait until it went on sale but even if you can't wait you're getting a well made jacket which I would highly recommend!
March 19, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nana07 Great Rain Jacket
I love this jacket. I put it on and held the sleeve under the faucet to see how it repelled the water and the water just rolled off the materiel.
The hood is roomy and is designed to give your head area maximum protection during a downpour but folds nicely inside itself if you don't need it. Goodbye umbrellas!
The second time I wore it, the zipper got jammed but I realized that it was my fault since I didn't take the time to properly connect the ends before pulling it up.
It looks nice and I have received many compliments. The fit is perfect and the pockets are more than I need.
This jacket is a little pricy but the quality is outstanding so the money spent is worth it since I am sure this is the last rain jacket I will ever need to buy.
I bought the fuchsia color and love it. It would be nice however, if they offer more choices in color.
March 14, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by LLBeanShopperLMN Love the Two-Way Front Zipper
This jacket is a very good jacket/shell in many respects, but not great. I think the part that is great is the fabric; i.e., Gore-Tex Pro - three fused layers.
What I like about the jacket are:
1. The fabric.
2. Very nice detailing with the LL Bean logo and Gore-Tex logo. It is embroidered rather than printed.
3. Love, love, love the front two-way zipper. My jackets must have a two-way zipper.
4. Love, love, love the two huge front zip pockets -- one on each side.
5. Love the generous cut. I bought a size Large, which I wanted so that I could layer depending on conditions. I generally wear a size 8 to 10, rarely up to a size 12.
6. Love the internal zip pocket.
Love the zip pocket on the sleeve.
Love the under-arm vents which also have two-way zippers.
Like, but don't love, the internal stretch pocket which is about 5" to
6". It is there and it is good, but it is not a solidly secure pocket.
7. The colors are beautiful. The brilliant blue is a beautiful, bright Caribbean blue -- very feminine for the slopes. If you are into pink, the dark fuchsia is an extremely pretty raspberry color.
What I don't like and have concerns about are:
1. There is no snap or velcro to hold the jacket in a closed position when it is an inopportune time to get the jacket fully zipped. It constantly falls off the hanger. It could probably use a snap at the collarbone and breastbone.
2. I love the front two-way zipper, but is is sewn too low to the bottom hem. When you are trying to zip the jacket, there is no fabric to grab onto so that you can pull the zipper up.
- There was one time when I got it partially zipped out of alignment and needed to get some help from a strong stranger. Just the other evening, the same thing happened and I needed to get a plier to get it unzipped. The zipper should probably be 5/8" shorter at the bottom front hem.
3. The sleeves I found annoying. There is no half elastic in the sleeve. When I put on the jacket for casual wearing, the droopy sleeves felt annoying. When I had it on with layers for skiing, it was less noticeable and less annoying.
4. The entire neck/hood combination seems poorly configured. The hood is not detachable. There is no way to store the hood out of the way. Maybe I would have liked the neck/hood combination better if I had used it with a helmet.
5. The jacket is missing the cozy factor. It could use a little more of the cozy feeling around the neck. It was fine with my fleece neck warmer, but on a stand alone basis, it could use more "cozy" at the neck.
6. I would like the under-arm vents to have a mesh lining rather than just being open.
7. The secure, zipped inside pocket that is intended for an iPod or an iPhone was too small for my larger iPhone 6 Plus to fit in. Since there are many people buying larger smartphones (i.e., Apple and Samsung), LLB may want to consider increasing the size of this secure pocket without taking away any space from the larger, wonderful pockets that are on the front, bottom sides of the jacket.
Conclusion: This jacket worked fine for Idaho skiing at 30 Degree Fahrenheit weather. I used a base layer, breathable fleece jacket, and this Gore-Tex shell. I plan to seek out a heavier fleece for when days are below 30 F degrees.
February 8, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by cinsan Superb jacket!
This jacket does it all! It covers, snuggles, offers deep pockets, inside and out, and cozies up to my trunk and head in a most wonderful way. I am LOOKING for a storm!
February 5, 2015