Rated 4 out of 5 by LLBeanShopperLMN Love the Two-Way Front Zipper
This jacket is a very good jacket/shell in many respects, but not great. I think the part that is great is the fabric; i.e., Gore-Tex Pro - three fused layers.
What I like about the jacket are:
1. The fabric.
2. Very nice detailing with the LL Bean logo and Gore-Tex logo. It is embroidered rather than printed.
3. Love, love, love the front two-way zipper. My jackets must have a two-way zipper.
4. Love, love, love the two huge front zip pockets -- one on each side.
5. Love the generous cut. I bought a size Large, which I wanted so that I could layer depending on conditions. I generally wear a size 8 to 10, rarely up to a size 12.
6. Love the internal zip pocket.
Love the zip pocket on the sleeve.
Love the under-arm vents which also have two-way zippers.
Like, but don't love, the internal stretch pocket which is about 5" to
6". It is there and it is good, but it is not a solidly secure pocket.
7. The colors are beautiful. The brilliant blue is a beautiful, bright Caribbean blue -- very feminine for the slopes. If you are into pink, the dark fuchsia is an extremely pretty raspberry color.
What I don't like and have concerns about are:
1. There is no snap or velcro to hold the jacket in a closed position when it is an inopportune time to get the jacket fully zipped. It constantly falls off the hanger. It could probably use a snap at the collarbone and breastbone.
2. I love the front two-way zipper, but is is sewn too low to the bottom hem. When you are trying to zip the jacket, there is no fabric to grab onto so that you can pull the zipper up.
- There was one time when I got it partially zipped out of alignment and needed to get some help from a strong stranger. Just the other evening, the same thing happened and I needed to get a plier to get it unzipped. The zipper should probably be 5/8" shorter at the bottom front hem.
3. The sleeves I found annoying. There is no half elastic in the sleeve. When I put on the jacket for casual wearing, the droopy sleeves felt annoying. When I had it on with layers for skiing, it was less noticeable and less annoying.
4. The entire neck/hood combination seems poorly configured. The hood is not detachable. There is no way to store the hood out of the way. Maybe I would have liked the neck/hood combination better if I had used it with a helmet.
5. The jacket is missing the cozy factor. It could use a little more of the cozy feeling around the neck. It was fine with my fleece neck warmer, but on a stand alone basis, it could use more "cozy" at the neck.
6. I would like the under-arm vents to have a mesh lining rather than just being open.
7. The secure, zipped inside pocket that is intended for an iPod or an iPhone was too small for my larger iPhone 6 Plus to fit in. Since there are many people buying larger smartphones (i.e., Apple and Samsung), LLB may want to consider increasing the size of this secure pocket without taking away any space from the larger, wonderful pockets that are on the front, bottom sides of the jacket.
Conclusion: This jacket worked fine for Idaho skiing at 30 Degree Fahrenheit weather. I used a base layer, breathable fleece jacket, and this Gore-Tex shell. I plan to seek out a heavier fleece for when days are below 30 F degrees.
February 8, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by cinsan Superb jacket!
This jacket does it all! It covers, snuggles, offers deep pockets, inside and out, and cozies up to my trunk and head in a most wonderful way. I am LOOKING for a storm!
February 5, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by 31skibum Love it!!
This is a great she'll jacket! I bought it for skiing. Used it this past wk at Sunday River and had no warmth problems with a few added layers.
They changed the fit of this years jacket- removed the mid-pull string through the jacket which is a bonus.
Great overall later jacket and would highly recommend!
January 4, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by SummerJoy Summer Joy's Tex
I like this shell.
I have tried it on. Looks good and sporty.
A comfortable fit.
Another good product by LL Bean.
I would recommend jacket this to a friend to purchase.
I have purchase three Gore-Tex shell jackets from the Ascent collection (navy, red and citrus green) for myself and family relatives who have been completely satisfied with their present.
I love to be able to wear LL bean's shell jacket with an inner fleece during the bitter cold and feel very comfortable while outdoors.
I am quite sure the new version will perform to expectation.
December 30, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by MllePetite Finally a Hiking Coat for Petites!
Finally a technical coat made in petite size! Love the coat, love the fit and love the blue color! Loved it so much, I bought the pants and the fleece. I have used it for hiking as well as for sailing, it's a wonderful 4 season apparel! I highly recommend it if you are an average 5'2"
September 11, 2014