Rated 3 out of 5 by A2Lisa such quality materials, such a huge hood
This item was overall too large for its intended wearer, and that's just what that is, but---my, my---the mentions here of how oversized the hood is are not exaggerating. It's bigger than the kind a monk might like to get lost in. It's big enough that one could have a costume pumpkin head of a 3-foot diameter and it'd probably fit over it just about right.
Most disappointing about it not working out was what a nice thick coat it is, clearly well made, attention to detail, really good stuff.
You could wear it without taking off your football helmet. There's that.
November 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by pumpkinms comfortable
Brought the coat for my husband he loves it keeps him warm
November 12, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Esquire Great Coat With a Couple of Exceptions
Overall this is a beautiful coat that is made in the U.S. which I get a lot of compliments on. Having said that I have to agree with some of the reviewers in that the zipper is way too small for the coat and can be hard to zip up or comes apart while wearing. I truly cannot figure out who thought that was a good design feature. I also agree that the collar is a bit tall and stiff and in your face, especially when wearing unzipped. Despite a couple of short comings this is a great coat. It is stylish, very warm and gets lots of looks. As is the case with most duffle coats, they will run large so I would recommend ordering one size down. For example I am approximately 6 feet 235 and normally wear an XL. For this coat the Large is a perfect fit.
April 19, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Textene Bad Cut
I had to return it.... As others have said, yes, the hood is way too big but I could have put up with that.... The big problem for me was that the front collar was right in my face... I don't like returning things but this coat is a dud.... Sorry to say that because I was very happy with similar coats I've bought from LL Bean.
April 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by LazyMansBeanH0ur Giant Hooded, yet AWESOME coat.
This coat rules. What can I say? I returned the Commuter Coat I had (The 2-way zipper and I weren't friends, to say the least), for this coat. I am so pleased with this it is not funny. The wool does not make you itch, great comfortable lining, nice and long, heavy and warm, and a ONE WAY ZIPPER (THANK YOU!!!) Bonus on the clasps...make the coat very classy looking. One complaint only: The hood is WAAAYYY big. Might want to make just a tad smaller, L.L. Bean. Other than that, this coat is the best.
March 8, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by NewEngExplorer Wait until you see it!
I am the proud owner of a Camel size Large regular, my favorites aspects include:
1) Durable enough for livestock: as mentioned by another reviewer, the coat feels like a horse blanket; coupled with the solid construction of the Anchor Company and the robust features and sophisticated details made in the USA.
2) Well prepared: attached hood is of generous cut and looks excellent even in the down position, zippers or buttons here
may have disrupted the refined lines of the coat. The main zipper is one directional but terrifically well designed flaps make the hook and loop fasteners quite effective.
3) Proof is in the details: liner is classic black, and 2 interior pockets are just what the doctor ordered, the large side pockets are expandable and the design also include side-entry hand pockets built in.
1) Checked out: this coat will attract attention, extraverted people may approach you and inquire, while not so confrontational folks may try to sneak a glancing touch in passing.
2) Like a BOSS: You may have the incredible urge to act like a boss. The coat will cause people to look at you and think you're a boss and it's possible you may start to believe them and begin to act like one.
3) Short story: This coat will make you feel like your regular size again. I do have long arms and torso and while I enjoy the tall sized options for shirts, vests, sweaters and even Bean union suits - I found the Large regular to fit perfectly; amble in the shoulders, plenty in the length and cut.
March 4, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by GuySmiley47 It's a Great Coat except for the zipper
Bought this coat last year for the style (not puffed up with down or the equivalent) and the warmth. Seriously cozy coat, like wearing a nice looking horse blanket...in a word...Awesome....then I tried to zip it up! Fa-getaboutit!! I thought it had a defective zipper, so I settled for the plastic-bobs and loops that are also on it. Periodically I struggled to zip it up especially when the cold winds blew. I sent the coat back and it was replaced with another coat with the identical problem...something seriously wrong with the zipper...LL Bean needs to take a page from the nicer Puffy coat folks and provide a zipper that works.
February 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by zoeygpa Excellent coat
Warm, great in blustery weather, stylish and well made.
February 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by KSigArt Wooley Duffel Coat
Just what the doctor ordered. My son changed his mind on the peacoat and saw this and it's perfect. Warm, comfortable, and attrac- tive to boot.
January 22, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Bill1014 Unusable zipper makes a nice coat unusable
I liked everything about the coat except the zipper. The zipper is too small for the coat, and the parts of the zipper could not be joined when tried by three people. The parts of the zipper to be joined appeared to be for zippers of two different sizes. Upon examination by a friend, she recommended that a tailor could possibly fix the coat by replacing the zipper. I received the coat today as a gift and will return it tomorrow.
January 15, 2014