Rated 5 out of 5áby FortyninthState A woman's perspective
I wanted to add my review on here, since there aren't too many yet. I needed a pair of winter boots. I live in Alaska. Not the southeast area, but the upper Interior. It is really hard to find a good winter boot for the temperatures up here. It really isnt that cold yet, +10's to 20's with only a couple inches of snow on the ground, so I can't comment on the comfort range temperature wise, but there are a few things that I really like about this boot so far:
1. This boot fits my foot. I went with my actual size, and the boot fits perfectly. It isn't too clunky compared to other brands and I can actually see myself wearing these for long distances. Right now, I wear a pair of medium weight wool socks with a liner underneath and my feet have plenty of room to move inside which is very important to keeping your feet warm. I could also easily wear another wool sock and still be comfortable. There is adequate cushioning to make walking comfortable. The downside, the shoelaces are waaay too long, I have to triple tie them.
2. This boot has a thick felt liner, with the option of buying additional liners. Liners that can be taken out of a pac boot is the best way to keep a foot warm. Take them out, dry them out, put them back in, good to go.
3. The quality of this boot is pretty good. The leather is soft and supple, the shoelaces are tightly woven, the sole is fastened on really well. There aren't any loose threads or glue showing anywhere. The tread is aggressive. Compare the workmanship to the other top brands, and you will notice a biiig difference. I paid 300 dollars for top of the line boot (not made by llbean) last year, wore them twice and the plastic toggle closure broke off making the boot unwearable. I learned that simple is better and the Bean Boots are exactly that. The leather and rubber components on the bean boot is much better quality as well.
4. The sole of the boot is bendable. In cold weather, a bendable sole is extremely important so the foot can move and continue to stay warm while stepping on the frozen ground. My husband bought a pair of boots from a different company the same time I bought these and he couldn't bend the sole at all. Needless to say, I won the bet and he is getting a pair of Beans now.
5. Not necessarily related to the boot, but I decided to order these via phone versus the internet and LL Beans customer service was top notch! They were extremely friendly, willing to help, and made my experience an enjoyable one. Plus, I was informed these boots have a lifetime guarantee. Perfect!
So, so far, I am very pleased with this boot. I will update once our temperatures are below zero. Thank you LL Bean for making a decent pac boot!
October 18, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5áby have2hike Abominable snow-me
Got these discounted at an outlet because they were missized. I wear about a 9.5-10 in most shoes and boots and these were labelled size 7. I said when I got them that I felt like I could walk to the north pole and punch a penguin, (yes, I know there's no penguins at the north pole.#
Wore them on a camping trip this past January. When winter camping I always bring two pairs of boots, just in case. Average daytime temperature was right around 0 Fahrenheit, at night ranging down to about -20. My companions were frequently changing socks, plastic bagging their feet in their boots, and warming their toes by the fire. I was stomping around the trees like a yeti. Never felt a lick of cold, never felt a drop of water. I even wore the liners around the tent.
4 stars because they're real "clunky" and heavy, #which of course you would expect from this type of boot), but if we continue to set our standards high, we'll continue to see products improve!
Overall a perfect addition to a winter camper's arsenal.
March 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5áby vesper2 sweet
Love these boots! They are warm and comfortable, and I love the height to them because I hate getting snow down in my boots. I had trouble with sizing them properly. I am a women's size 6.5/7 and I had to go with the us boot size 5.
March 28, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5áby Jesse22 Maine Pac boots
These boots are terribly stiff, almost un-wearable.
March 7, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5áby Donald12 Winter boots
Shoes are very nice but they had sold out of the one's I really wanted
March 5, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5áby WXiang Somewhat narrow near ankle
I unfortunately returned this item due to the narrow ankle. But I should say, all other parts are perfect!
February 26, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5áby AmandaB1997 Nice Fit, Not Water Tight
Unfortunately, these began to leak negating all the warmth they provided. The first 3 months were great, my husband began to think his socks weren't warm enough due to our -20 temperatures, but as soon as he switched boots to a company provided pair he realized these were leaking at the seams.
February 24, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5áby legman What a mistake!
I actually bought these Pac boots because you didn't have my size in your Wildcat boots. I have worn insulated boots for years and Muck boots with extra pairs of socks. Feeding cattle and being in an atmosphere of "muck" is hard on your feet. My feet had been cold all winter. These boots came about noon one day when I had been out all day feeding and working on frozen troughs. My feet were cold and I needed a change. I put them on and went and cut firewood for about 4 hours. When I got home my wife who grew up in Maine asked, "How did the boots work?". I said, "My feed haven't been this warm since last July!" These are by far the best boots I have ever had on my feet. Hey, you guys should investigate putting a pair of flip flops inside these things. They would really go over well with the College Crowd. Thanks for the mistake.
February 12, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5áby Pshibb Well worth it.
Over all these are great. Warm and fairly comfortable. The speed lacing system isn't as good as it's made out to be but might get better as the boots are broken in. The sizes run larger than expected, but not by much. Thick socks are required for the best fit.
February 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5áby Beanmen Rugged, Functional and Warm
When its time to head outdoors these are the Boots you need to have if you are an outdoor enthusiast in snow or cold temps. The bob knobs on the bottom are the best traction out there for snow and hostile conditions. I have had a pair of these for over 20 years and decided to get my girlfriend a pair for Valentines Day and was amazed the boots design had not changed a bit. She was always trying to wear mine so now she has her own. They are easy to get on and off, waterproof and Very Warm when they need to be. Great gear makes good fun. I hope LL Bean continues making such excellent products like this.
February 12, 2014