Rated 5 out of 5 by Scoutmom12 this is the laptop bag to have
After 10 years of faithful service my old laptop bag gave out,. I found myself in the market for a new laptop backpack. After reviewing the options, I decided to purchase this backpack. I had not owned an LL Bean backpack before but I have no regrets. The compartment is large enough to accommodate my larger laptop along with the various books etc. I like the open pocket to stuff a pair of shoes or a lightweight breaker if need me. Construction is great and it is most importantly comfortable to wear and carry. This will be our "go to " backpack for trips and everyday use. The blue colors rock.
May 1, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Kfleming Great college back pack
I really like this back pack. The only major flaws are that the back pocket has a flapped covering on the zipper and its really hard to open on the fly. It also doesnt hold as much as you would think. I got it for day tripping around Europe next fall and I think it will do fine.
April 24, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dakota4MAINE Great all around bag!
This backpack is awesome! The extra pocket in the front is great for sticking your umbrella in it, or your newspaper, hoodie or whatever. It has tons of pockets, including a pocket for a laptop, but I use it to secure my Kindle and protect it from getting banged around.It has two water bottlle pockets; and I use the large 24 oz sport water bottle and they fit with ease. I have two LL Bean backpacks and have tried almost every one they have; and so far this is the best one I have tried. You will not be disappointed. I would recommend this to anyone whether you need it for daily use as I do, commuting back and forth to work, or for sightseeing!
April 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by GrannyA Should Have gotten one sooner
I bought this so I carry my laptop more easily when traveling. Not only did it hold the laptop, it held almost all the non-clothing items I needed for 2 weeks, and it left my hands free.
March 20, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nguyen Excellent book bag
This is an outstanding book bag. It holds well and strong yet light enough. It also supports your back from pain
February 22, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Thinmint8 Perfect for my child in a wheelchair
Love how this hangs on the wheelchair handles - does not take up too much room. Like the division of pockets, instead of one big one where things get lost. Excellent quality, as always. My daughter's previous backpack was also LL Bean but the red has faded over the years. Otherwise, it's still in good shape & will keep as an extra for emergency supplies. Paid next to nothing for it with my LL Bean visa coupons.
January 30, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by snowmama Lots of pockets
Bought for my 8 year old for school. We live in snow country and need to lug lots of snowclothes back and forth to school. He likes to pack a football or soccer ball as well. So this is a grwat size pack for him. We plan to use it for backpa cking this summer as well. There are so many pockets to carry stuff. Very cool, well made bag.
December 26, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by supersibi Well made
Good quality, cool enough for my picky teens!!!!
December 26, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 Love this bag!
I'm so happy with my bag. It's worn in nicely after about a month of use. I recommended it to a co-worker who loves hers as well. The bag holds a ton of stuff, but be careful- it gets really heavy when you over pack it because it can hold a lot of stuff. I recommend it for young professionals who lug around lenovos for work. The open pocket is great for easy access to shoes or gloves etc. the side pockets are great for bottles and snacks. Loden green is awesome. I may look like a high school student, but at least I no longer have back pain from my messenger bag. Buy it, you'll love it!
I do wish it had a reflective panel. That would be good for safety in the dark! I may add some reflective tape.
November 29, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by traveler360 Nice looking bag, but scratches somewhat easily
I got the bag in gunmetal grey and hoping it to have a slight navy color tint as the photos suggest - well it does actually. Not as much as in the photos though. It's really more of a gunmetal grey with hardly noticeable blue tint. Well that's true to description, isn't it? And it's really nice looking bag, the bright yellow works amazing with the grey color. It appears to be well constructed and sturdy. I really like the features such as the waist strap that can be hidden into the backpanel, the expandable pocket and so on. It fits my stuff (tons of small things, stationaries, cables, etc). It feels comfortable.
There are a few things that I don't like a hundred percents though, hence 4 stars instead of 5.
1) The fabric. From the photo you can see the front panel consists of two types of fabric stitched together. In my case it's black and grey. The grey colored fabric works quite well so far (had the bag for about two months), but the black fabric showed some slight signs of scratches the second day I started using the bag - yeah they are slight, you won't even notice it unless you look really close. But still. The very very slight signs of loose threads kind of bothers me. Even though I don't think it would affect the function of the bag. Another place that it scratches easily that concerns me even more is the back bottom corners of the bag. More discussion on this in point 3).
2) The zippers are a bit of a hassle as other reviewers have noted. They don't really get caught in the fabrics - at least not for me. But it's true they tend to get stuck and it's nearly impossible to zip a pocket without stopping, but as they don't get caught, so if it gets stuck, you can adjust the angle slightly and keep going. Not a big issue for me but might be frustrating for others.
3) The laptop sleeve. It hangs about 1 inches from the bottom, which is a very clever idea, I think. But there're a few issues for me. First the padding at the corner of the sleeve is somewhat lacking - if you touches it, you will find there are about 1 inches of space at the corner that's not padded. Hopefully this doesn't matter, as the space between the bottom of the sleeve and the bottom of the bag would hopefully stop your laptop from hitting the ground when you put down your bag. But I'm not 100% convinced in this matter. The weight of the laptop would drag the sleeve down a little bit - so the ~1 in distance would be reduced. And the bottom part of the backpanel folds rather easily without some inner support - I mean, if you don't put some kind of big books/folders/binders in the main compartment, the backpanel would fold a little bit at the bottom when you put your bag on the floor. Which unfortunately caused the unpadded corner of the sleeve to coincide with where the padding on the back panel ends, and - yes your laptop's corners would easily hit the floor with the protection of only some thin fabrics! With 2 months of light use (I only carry my laptop about 1 or 2 times a week), I can see very obvious signs of tears and scratches on the fabrics of the bottom back corner (roughly where the corners of the laptop would touch). I worry how it will hold up against time.
4) Laptop sleeve again. The padding on the sides ends exactly where the sleeve ends. I mean, if you have a slightly bigger laptop (mine is 15'') that doesn't completely fit *into* the sleeve (mine has about 0.5'' above the sleeve), the top corners would be almost completely unprotected. This is not a big issue as the chance of the top corners hitting something is small. But it can still happen, so that might be an issue.
5) Cannot be monogrammed. I think I can see why - the best place to monogram is currently occupied by the LLBean logo. Which looks nice, I'm not complaining. But I still wish there would be option for replacing the logo with monogram and maybe switch to a more understated logo?
Overall this is my favorite backpack so far (mostly for the look, lol) and I wish to see improvements on future models.
November 10, 2012