Rated 4 out of 5 by CrazySheepHokie Great quality but not supportive for foot problems
First I will write the good things about these boots.
1) They are warm! I didn't want to get the insulated ones because I wanted to be able to wear them comfortably in warm weather as well, but my feet have never been cold in these boots even working in 20 degree weather out at the barn.
2) They are dirt resistant - I can step in ankle deep manure and none of it seeps through the mesh.
3) They have great tread. I am never lacking for traction in these boots and I have only slipped once down a steep hill coated with several inches of ice.
4) The fit is great. I got a wide and I have never had problems with blisters on my toes and they were also just the right length.
There are, however, some cons to these boots as well.
1) They take ages to break in. Even wearing tall thick socks, I got raw spots on my calves from wearing them for even an hour. It took a good month of regularly wearing them every day for an hour or so for them to wear in. Now that they're sufficiently broken in they are great - no problems. It just took longer for them to get that way than any other pair of boots I've owned, even knee-high horseback riding boots.
2) They are water-resistant. NOT water-proof. Stepping in a deep puddle a few times or spilling water on them is no big deal, but if you are working consistently in wet muddy conditions for a couple of hours, water starts to seep in. Not what I would call water proof but my feet are not soaking either.
3) I have plantar fasciitis and peroneal tendonitis. Even wearing special orthotic inserts in these boots, I am in a good deal of pain after only a couple hours of wear. Wearing them all day as I sometimes must do if I am working at the barn and have no time to change between then and going to class, I am rendered practically unable to walk at the end of the day. This probably wouldn't be a problem at all for someone without foot problems obviously, but if you have conditions like these, I would say to ask your doctor if they can recommend a boot that is somewhat more supportive.
March 3, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by CanadianOutdoorsLady EXCELLENT HIKERS
These boots felt comfortable the first time I put them on! I needed new waterproof hikers for a trekking trip in Argentina and these boots certainly lived up to their advertisement! It was the rainy season in Argentina, so lots of water and mud to trek through and my feet were dry and comfortable the entire time...I would definitely recommend these hikers to anyone needing waterproof boots!
February 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Coloradoregular great value
I was hesitant to order hiking boots online, but couldn't find any reasonably-priced WATERPROOF boots at local stores. These have turned out to be perfect - warm, waterproof, comfortable. When I first tried them on, I was concerned that they might be a bit small for me (I usually wear 7.5 or 8, and had ordered size 8) . . . but I have found that even thought they do fit snugly, there are NO pressure points, and they remain very comfortable even when walking for several hours.
February 5, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by leroysmama Love these boots.
Most comfortable shoes I own-period! I wear them 8-10 hours a day on concrete and asphalt. Love these boots!
January 29, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by FCVT Give them time to 'break in'
Dealing with winter in the northeast can be challenging and we've had it all this season - mud, snow, ice. I wanted to find waterproof footwear that I could throw on to go to the store, out to a casual dinner, or out to my chicken coop.
l decided to try these and while I'm glad I did, there are some drawbacks. As most people noted, they tend to run small. I wear a 7 and that's what I ordered. Big mistake on my part - should have paid attention to the reviews. I can only wear thin socks with them. Even so, my feet stay warm while trudging through the snow.
They are stiff around the ankle area but they are breaking in nicely. You can't just wear them around the living room for an hour or two and hope they feel better. Just try wearing them for a couple hours each day and you will find that they do relax a bit. They offer great support for the ankle which I love. The length and width, of the toe area, hasn't stretched out at all and it likely won't but I'll deal with it.
January 28, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by hockeymom09 Too Stiff
I bought this item thinking that a sneaker type boot would be a good option for the winter. i did like the fit of the boot in the foot area. The top is too stiff and hurts my shin. I noted many others have this issue as well based on comments. i am returning as I cannot wear them for long periods as I would like to .
January 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by LLBshopper19 Love them
These boots are wonderful. Used them on a recent camping trip where the weather was below zero, over a foot of snow, and had to trampled through creeks. My feet stayed warm and dry! These shoes are the best investment I have made and are worth every penny. I did read the other comments about the sizes running a little small so I did buy 1/2 size larger and they were a perfect fit.
Thanks LL Bean!
January 10, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by OKnaturalist Sore ankles
Until I get them broken in, the outsides of my lower shins and ankles are going to be chafed and raw. The foot part fits well. The boots did a good job keeping my feet dry and warm during the recent Christmas bird count, and the tread provided sure footing in muddy conditions. But the stiff uppers do not flex at all. I hope they will eventually soften up to move with my legs.
January 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by NoMoreChoices Very comfortable
Great for hiking in winter conditions in the south.
January 1, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Vermontjan Perfect boots
These boots are exactly as described. I used the comparison feature to chose between 3 boot styles. The boots are warm and comfortable. I ordered a size 7& 1/2 wide which is my normal size and the fit was perfect. I have started to walk daily and needed suitable boots to walk in the northern Vermont ice and snow. I would highly recommend these boots.
December 27, 2013