Rated 5 out of 5 by Icenine My favorite cool weather garment
I wear this more than any other piece of clothing from Oct through April, and recently purchased a second one. There are many things I like about it, and nothing I dislike. My likes:
1. The merino wool is the nicest I've ever experienced. It is super soft and feels great on the skin with nothing underneath. I don't have anything that feels this comforting when it is cold out.
2. I have a very long torso and very long arms with a wingspan of 6'6". I have a hard time finding any long sleeve shirts that fit me, but the tall in this is just right, and it doesn't leave me exposed as if I am a plumber when I bend over.
3. This is a really versatile piece for layering. It is called a base-layer and it works great as a base layer, but it works equally well over the top of something else.And it isn't too bulky to wear another insulating layer or rain gear on top. It looks nice enough that I sometimes wear it at work and like a sweater at home. It is also typically one of my layers when working the farmers market in cool weather.
4. I do a lot of brisk walking for exercise in the shoulder seasons, and this is perfect for me as a solo top when it is 40-45 out, and perfect with a light baselayer underneath when it is 30-40 degrees outside. It breathes well so I don't get sweaty, and to the extent that I do perspire, it tends to evaporate quickly.
5. My first one has held up for me wearing it hundreds of times. It is now starting to show signs of wear, so I got a new one, but the old one is still has a lot of life and is fine as a baselayer or insulating layer. If I didn't love it so much, I'd probably ditch it at this point, but I'm going to keep wearing it.
6. As is the case with all wool garments, it has a natural anti-funk characteristic, so if you are on a multi-day excursion where you cannot wash your clothes, this is great, as it will not get stinky.
7. It is fairly easy to take care of this, and it hasn't shrunk on me at all. I just throw it in with the dark clothes on cold, and hang it up to drip dry. I wouldn't be surprised if it could go in the dryer, but I don't want to risk it.
October 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by DaveNY Tall Size and Comfortable!
I love LL Bean for the availability of quality products in tall sizes. The Cresta Wool Midweight is another great example. I own one forest green/black and one black. Some of the highlights- Soft material (not scratchy), excellent (tall) sleeve length with thumb loops and adequate waist length, breathable material. I love these shirts for cooler weather hiking or in the evening to keep the chill at bay. The waste length seemed to get slightly shorter recently with their latest offerings but is still long enough to be comfortable. I wash them as instructed and line dry. They still look and feel great after moderate use.
April 4, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by EzGoingKev Well made but body length short
Just like the title says. Lost points due to lack of length.
February 26, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by Boxcar6 Tall is shorter than usual
I found the body in these to be shorter than what I've come to expect from Bean's (much loved) tall sizes. I ordered this along with the Power Dry Stretch Base Layer, Midweight Quarter-Zip which did not have the same issue.
The combination of the manner in which wool fabric naturally moves and the shorter length did not give me the confidence that this would stay tucked in.
The sleeves were plenty long and the thumb hole is a nice touch for the purposes of pulling the sleeves all the way down the sleeve of another layer on top of this as a base layer. I'm not sure I would have used the thumb hole during wear, perhaps when using under gloves.
The rubber coated zipper pull and cloth tab behind the zipper pull (when in the zipped up position) were nice features and I found the wool fabric to be warm and not too itchy against the skin.
February 22, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by BLMiller Bad zipper
quality of the product is great except the zipper busted the first time I unzipped it. I hadn't even warn it yet.
February 11, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by JPAwoo Order "Tall"; regular is too short
I ordered this as a gift for my adult son for Christmas. It is exactly what he wanted and I love everything about it--the weight, texture, features ... except that it is WAY too short! My son is of average build, almost 6' tall and neither lean nor heavy. I had the shirt shipped directly to him, as he is 2000 miles away; but he flew home this past weekend and wore the shirt. I was so disappointed to see how short it was on him; several inches of his T-shirt hung out below the hem. I asked him if he dried it in the dryer, but he said he hadn't even washed it yet. I so wish he had exchanged it for a tall shirt before wearing it, but he probably didn't want to hurt my feelings or didn't know there was a tall version available or how easy the exchanges are. This is a very expensive garment, and I'm sick to know that it won't keep him warm if it exposes his back every time he bends over. The sleeves were perfect, but the body length was at least 4" too short! I wonder if there is any way we can still exchange it?
January 20, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ColdSkier Just what I was looking for
I purchased this item to replace a similar layer that had worn out. Just got back from a trip to Snowmass and loved how this item preformed. It's very comfortable, and warm. I ski a lot in the northeast and can encounter temps below zero with the wind chill. Bring it on!
December 26, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Sophiel very itchy
very poor quality merino wool. I am very disappointed, returning the order.
December 6, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Mazin Re-Mazin
zipper failed on first trial ... while un zipping it came apart.
November 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mazin Amazing
am 6' / 200 lb. almost lean ... ordered medium tall, it fits perfectly.. material and finishing are amazing ...warm and toasty, it deserve that I take the time to write a review
November 15, 2014