Rated 2 out of 5 by Jettykid Too Itchy
This shirt seemed well made and stylish. However I could not wear it for more than a few minutes because it was itchy like old wool sweaters that I remember. I did not wash it and just returned it. Thank you LL Bean for such a good return policy!
March 23, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by APMGTV Very pleased
Immediately after this arrived I wore it on 7- and 4-mile runs in 20-30 degree weather. The wool is warm and light and it breathes. I really like the colors. I'm 6'2" about 175 lbs, wear a 44L jacket, and the large fits me very well.
February 8, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by btsunpower Cresta Wool mdwgt. baselayer
Purchased this midweight base layer for its' merino wool and t-zip features. I found that the med. size to be a bit short waisted ( I normally do not have to go to tall sizing). Also the zipper blew out after only a few times of being worn. Returned for a replacement and went with a tall. Let's see how the replacement holds up.
January 12, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Killthelag Comfortable!
This base layer is very soft and comfortable. It worth the price when it is on sale.
January 3, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by velocodger Best in class
This is a high quality product. The wool is substantial, yet not itchy. The collar does a good job of keeping my neck warm. The length of a regular size is quite adequate, and is long enough to stay tucked in. The sleeves are long enough too. I can wear this top for longer than I should, and it doesn't smell bad when not washed frequently. The washing methods are pretty normal, without needing a special wash or dry. It's cold here in the mountains, but as the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!
December 16, 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by NYreviewer Itchy and too large
So I normally wear XL Tall in llbean gear. This is very large for me. Also it is very itchy. I was hoping it would be an alternative to smart wool stuff but unfortunately.. it's itchy and doesn't pass the test.
Would probably be fine if you wear a layer under it so it doesn't touch the skin. Maybe it improves after washing. I didn't take the chance and returned it.
November 20, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by xokensie1 cresta wool the best merino going
Receive this shirt the other day. It looked huge out of the package, I think due to the cut and stripes. however, when my husband tried it on it fits way better than it appeared out of the box. The fit is maybe a little larger than the actual size, but I am thinking after washing and drying a few times this winter it will be perfect. We have Minus 33 in the same merino wool style but this one feels way heavier without bulk. It is very soft and made well
November 5, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Altruistguy Fantastic Value; Excellent Performance
I wore this all last winter. I love several things about this:
- The merino wool is absolutely itch-free.
- It fits well.
- Unexpected benefit -- wool really does apparently have inherent anti-bacterial properties. I found that I was able to wear this 24x7 for a week at a time without it getting odiferous.
- Machine washable! I just turned it inside out, put it in the washing machine with a wool-friendly detergent, and it washed great!
- Its cost is a fraction of that for similar products sold elsewhere.
I found the manufacturing quality to be excellent. It served me well all last winter and I'm looking forward to wearing it again for much of this coming winter.
A fantastic value that I'm glad to have available to me in my drawer.
October 27, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by EastTennessean1 Great Shirt (buy the tall)
This shirt is awesome. It has the stretchiness you'd expect from a base layer but it's 100% wool. I'm not sure how they managed that but its great. The zipper works smoothly and the wool is very soft. A minor complaint is that the thumb holes are tight. I have slender fingers and the thumb holes are noticeably tight. For those of you with sausage fingers you probably won't be able to use the thumb holes without breaking the stitching or cutting off blood circulation. If you are more than 5'10" get the tall if you plan on tucking it in. I'm an athletic build and 6'0" ~165 lbs. and the tall medium fits great. It could probably accommodate a weight up to ~180 lbs on me. Overall a great buy at the sale price.
October 15, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Icenine My favorite cool weather garment
I wear this more than any other piece of clothing from Oct through April, and recently purchased a second one. There are many things I like about it, and nothing I dislike. My likes:
1. The merino wool is the nicest I've ever experienced. It is super soft and feels great on the skin with nothing underneath. I don't have anything that feels this comforting when it is cold out.
2. I have a very long torso and very long arms with a wingspan of 6'6". I have a hard time finding any long sleeve shirts that fit me, but the tall in this is just right, and it doesn't leave me exposed as if I am a plumber when I bend over.
3. This is a really versatile piece for layering. It is called a base-layer and it works great as a base layer, but it works equally well over the top of something else.And it isn't too bulky to wear another insulating layer or rain gear on top. It looks nice enough that I sometimes wear it at work and like a sweater at home. It is also typically one of my layers when working the farmers market in cool weather.
4. I do a lot of brisk walking for exercise in the shoulder seasons, and this is perfect for me as a solo top when it is 40-45 out, and perfect with a light baselayer underneath when it is 30-40 degrees outside. It breathes well so I don't get sweaty, and to the extent that I do perspire, it tends to evaporate quickly.
5. My first one has held up for me wearing it hundreds of times. It is now starting to show signs of wear, so I got a new one, but the old one is still has a lot of life and is fine as a baselayer or insulating layer. If I didn't love it so much, I'd probably ditch it at this point, but I'm going to keep wearing it.
6. As is the case with all wool garments, it has a natural anti-funk characteristic, so if you are on a multi-day excursion where you cannot wash your clothes, this is great, as it will not get stinky.
7. It is fairly easy to take care of this, and it hasn't shrunk on me at all. I just throw it in with the dark clothes on cold, and hang it up to drip dry. I wouldn't be surprised if it could go in the dryer, but I don't want to risk it.
October 2, 2015