Rated 4 out of 5áby SnowdenShopper The perfect edge
Unit is a bit bulky since I now have limited counter & storage space. Very easy to use to get a sharp edge in seconds. For folks who aren't good at sharpening knives with stones or other simpler tools, a nice luxury item. Quite expensive, but I didn't mind using accumulated points to get it.
October 8, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5
áby TheyAreDifferent It doesn't actually sharpen knives very well.
If it just didn't actually sharpen knives, I suppose I could have lived with that, but it was worse. It seemed to take knives that weren't all that dull to begin with, and make them duller.
I've always used simple, inexpensive hand-held knife sharpeners (V-shaped metal or ceramic), so I was hoping this "Professional" sharpener would do a really good job. Instead, I was disappointed that it didn't really sharpen the blades, and worse, I think it made them duller.
That was the main thing, but there were a few other problems...
- It is supposed to hold the blade of the knife at a fixed angle, but it doesn't really do that. You still have to hold the blade just right, or the diamond grinder will make uneven bevels on your blade (I sadly discovered) as the knife blade wobbles through the machine. Even holding the blade flat against the plastic side of the machine with both hands caused a problem when I came to the curved part of the blade.
- They advised not to push down too hard, but there's no good way to determine how much pressure is too much. Even with a light touch, I ended up dragging the blade edge through the plastic housing. It made me wonder if perhaps there was something wrong with this particular machine (as opposed to it being a not very good design).
- Every one of the carbon steel kitchen knives I "sharpened" with the machine ended up duller after I was finished.
- When I tried to sharpen my Leatherman Skeletool CX blade (154cm stainless), the diamond abrasive (position #1) tore uneven grooves into the blade, at varying angles along the edge. (see photo)
- I never did get around to trying it out on some serrated knives, as I was too discouraged at that point and didn't want to risk wrecking them.
As you may have guessed, I've decided to return the "Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpener," and no, I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
Oh well...all of the other LL Bean products I've purchased have been very good quality.
February 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5áby Deeday Razor sharp knives forever
Opened the box, read the instructions, and within minutes sharpened every knive we own. So easy, so effective. Why would you ever spend money for a good knife and not own this?
January 16, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5áby sealine don't buy new knives... get this instead!
fast, easy to use and works great. I especially like that it also sharpens serrated knives, my bread knife is sharp again.
it was an even sweeter deal because I had four coupons to use. if you have the llbean visa and use it for all your purchases, the coupon $'s add up fast. i practically *stole* this thing!
February 18, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5áby KCS1 A good quality tool
Our local kitchen shop brings in a traveling knife sharpener twice a year and I've been hauling all my knives in to him. He dies an amazing job, those puppies are dangerously sharp when he's done. I bought this knife sharpener because I love owning and using tools, high quality tools. This is a very good tool. The knives aren't quite as sharp as the pro gets them but they are plenty sharp, very sharp. And I can touch them up whenever I want, rather than waiting for a few months around some one else's schedule.
It's very easy to use, I recommend you buy one if you like to do things yourself.
February 1, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5áby natloz Sharp knives are essential
To say my knives were dull is a gross understatement. Tried one of those hand-help sharpeners -- lots of times over a period of years. Didn't like the way it worked or the way I had to work it. Ordered the Chef's Choice Professional with high hopes. Those hopes were realized within minutes. Easy to use; does a fantastic job on both straight and serated edge knives. Food prep is no longer a frustrating chore. I recommend this product highly.
December 28, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5áby lovecouponsandsales It was like getting a new knife set
We love our Professional Knife Sharpener. It was easy to use and did a great job. Tomatoes, meat, onions everything cuts perfect. We now don't have to buy new knifes.
March 5, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5áby Baboune Knife Sharpener
My daughter ordered this for my husband on Monday last week and she received at her home on Friday last week. Very impressed with the shipping and my husband just loves his new knife sharpener. Great gift for him as he likes to cook.
December 13, 2010
Rated 4 out of 5áby Attention2FinerDetails A good edge...
This sharpener is a pretty good unit with versatility for multiple knife requirements.
When I am after a dangerously razor sharp edge though, I have had better experience with stones. However, for a quick, clean, and noticeably sharper blade, this unit accomplished a really great job.
November 15, 2010
Rated 1 out of 5áby BOATINGBUDDY5 BOATINGBUDDY5
SHARPENED MY FILLET KNIVES AS PER DIRECTIONS. NO IMPROVEMENT IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE KNIVES.
CONSIDERING RETURNING THE SHARPENER.
October 25, 2010