Rated 4 out of 5áby Yulelog Color
The Mariner Blue is really a Navy Blue. Actual jacket is much darker than picture. Otherwise and outstanding jacket. My third Baxter State in fact.
July 11, 2016
Rated 4 out of 5
áby Tacitus23 Performed better than expected
only wore this parka about 5 times this winter as it was too warm for the region. We're having a major blizzard right now with up to 60 mph wind gust so I thought it would be a perfect time to try it out. this parka shined in the wind no chills what so ever. I can't recommend this enough. My only caveat is to advise people to not buy this as a daily wear as it's too warm and bulky and not fashionable at all. If you want something to survive some harsh conditions though give this a try. If some of the design flaws were addressed I would give it 5 stars. The side pockets are at a funny angle to keep your hands in them and the hood is nearly useless as you can't cinch it down tight enough and it's near impossible to do at all with gloves on.
March 23, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5
áby dsuarez75 Excellent parka for all your winter needs
First my metrics:
-5' 8'' (173 cms)
-163 lbs (74 kgs)
After having owned a parka from an unknown brand for over 10 years I decided to give LL Bean a try. I AM VERY SATISFIED.
I have to say, to face the winters in NY/NJ as a daily train commuter, this is a life saver. Hence, my comments:
- Good construction, excellent materials, good fit.
- Initially I purchased the L size, which proved to be large for me. I ordered the M size and I got reimbursed quickly after they received the large parka. Kudos for the terrific customer service.
- The hood provides good room to cover all my head and ears. No need anymore for ear muffs or hats.
- The lowest temperature we have experienced so far this year in my region was -25 F (-13 C) including the wind chill factor with winds over 30 mph (around 45 km/h). I was comfortable enough (slightly warm, not cold) while waiting the train on the uncovered, open-air platform (no physical activity at all). Full disclosure, I wore the following layers: under-shirt, shirt, jacket, parka.
- The double pull-tab zipper is magnificent as it allows you to raise the "lower pull-tab" to bend over or comfortably sit down.
- Once I walked at a moderately fast pace at 32 F (0 C) and I started to sweat a little bit.
- I suffer from Reynaud's disease (feet and cold become numb in response to cold weather or stress. In my case it is due mainly to my body's inability to keep my core warm), but with this jacket I have seen it greatly decreased.
- I have received great compliments from my co-workers on the looks and appearance of the jacket.
- Side pockets (with clasps) are so roomy to keep stuff inside.
- The "hidden" internal pocket is so useful and handy. You can keep there your phone, keys or in my case my train and subway passes so it's only one move away. No more looking in your pants pockets.
POINTS TO IMPROVE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE
- To me, the adjusting line should be at the waist level, not at the bottom of the parka.
This would ensure cold air not coming from beneath. Although if you tight enough the lines a minimum amount of cold air enters from below.
- Since I (over) tight the line, the bottom of the parka tends to "curve" inwards my body, making a bit awkward when I sit down. However, this is alleviated by the fact that you can raise the lower pull-tap zipper (see one of the pictures).
- The side pockets (not the ones with locks) should be angled and not straight. This to assure a more "natural" and relaxed position of my hands when sticking them inside the pockets.
KEEP IN MIND COMMENTS
- A few feathers here and there get stuck to my jacket (I presume this is expected).
- It takes a bit to get used to the operation of the double pull-tap zipper.
- Overall the parka is a bit bulky, but something to expect with the amount of insulation you're buying.
This parka is all you need for your winter needs, either you use layers or not.
I include two pictures showing how well the parka covers my entire body and to demonstrate how ample space the side pockets have to allow my full hands inside them.
The second picture shows the parka's ability to let you operate the two pull-taps (my fingers pointing to both of them) of the zipper for maximum comfort depending on the conditions. As pictured, I'm sitting down and I raised the lower pull-tap in order to have a more relaxed sitting position without feeling the parka too tight around your waist or upper thigh.
March 23, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby RCOJr Seriously warm jacket
The jacket is exceptionally warm and well made, with multiple large pockets inside and out. I am 6'2" tall, 180 pounds. As I wanted longer sleeves, I ordered the Tall version, which only comes in Large or larger. It was way too big, so I exchanged it for a regular Medium, jacket, which fits just fine and has sleeves quite long enough for my 35" arms. Per other reviews of this jacket, don't order the Large, Tall unless you are REALLY large or tall.
I bought this jacket to replace my LLBean Maine Warden's Parka, which has served me exceptionally well for 15 or more years, but which no longer appears on the LLBean site. I was informed by the very helpful LLBean chat people that this jacket is still available on backorder. If you are comparing the two, the Baxter State Parka weighs about 1 pound more, the sleeves are an inch or three longer, and the pockets are much larger and more numerous. I'm looking forward to another 15 years from the new jacket.
March 18, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby EShopper1 Best winter coat ever
I am from Pittsburgh pa and we get some cold winter here
And I just love this one and the more I use it the more I find that I like about it
PS- I am fine with the fake fur on the top of the hat, the coats that has the real fur are more then $800 and that is a little expensive for me
March 16, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby DABall Another Baxter State Parka!
I purchased a new Baxter State Parka to replace the one I've had for nearly 20 years. My old one is still in excellent shape, and I just wanted a new look. The new version is beyond my expectations and of much higher quality materials and fit. I'm sure I'll get another 20 years of excellent wear.
March 16, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby Bunyan The Best
I work teaching students how to drive tractor- trailers, which requires me to stand, and walk in a parking lot during very cold winters.
This parka is absolutely the BEST,
Recently we had a subzero day with the the winds screaming at about 40 MPH, which resulted in a wind chill of about 40 below zero.
I stayed very comfortable with this parka, no wind coming through at all! It covered below the waist, the pockets are also on the inside which kept my pen from freezing, and my cell phone was easy to reach.
The large pockets allowed me to comfortably stow my thermos of tea within reach, along with my gloves.
It zips up to enclose my neck, folding out the fur just adds more protection from the wind.
Great design, and consideration of storage spots within the parka.
I have been a customer of Beans for many years buying their clothes, boots, jackets and parkas, never a bad item!
Customer service is superior as well.
Finest kind as they say!
March 9, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5
áby ArcticAuroraExplorer Put the Baxter to the extreme test.
I just returned from Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories, where I put this parka to the extreme test for 5 nights in a row, with temperatures as low as -33 Fahrenheit and a -51 windchill. I was out in the wilderness doing "night sky" photography for 3 to 5 hours per night, so not moving around a whole lot. Of course, you need to wear the proper layers underneath. Also, at those temps, you'll need a balaclava and a neoprene face mask. No need to buy a $900. Canada Goose Parka. I'm very happy with the Baxter State Parka, but if I was re-designing it, the large scoop pockets would be angled for easier access, instead of horizontal. Great value!!
March 6, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby rappar19 If it's cold, buy this Parka
I live in Ottawa, Canada. I try to escape the winter but this year could not. We have days that are in the -20║ range before wind chill is added. Walking a Samoyed at 6 AM can be COLD. This jacket does the trick. It is just great and a fraction of the price of a Canada Goose jacket that seems to be a fashion statement around my home town.
If you need a cold weather coat, look no farther, you have found an an excellent product. Thanks, L.L. Bean.
March 4, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5áby LakeCounty A Keeper.
I was looking for a good warm down parka that would be a go to when the weather turned bad. I had purchased a couple of other parkas from other manufactures, which I had to send back. This one is a keeper. It is warm, with no cold spots around the shoulders and back of the neck, like the other coats I tried. I like the color and texture of the outer shell (gray heather). It is well made, and I look forward to many years of use. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a grab-and-go parka for extreme conditions.
March 2, 2016