Monhegan Island Birding Hike
- $149 - Includes ferry ride and lunch
- Activity Level:
- Minimum Age:
- 8 (17 and under with parent or guardian)
- Spend a day birding on the beautiful and remote island of Monhegan
- See dozens of migratory bird species in the island's protected marshes, forests and bluffs
- Enjoy unparalleled views of sea birds and wildlife in their natural habitat from the deck of the ferry
- Cost includes the parking fee, ferry admission, and a picnic lunch on the island
Join L.L.Bean guide and nationally renowned birder, Jeff Wells, and experience a unique window into bird migration on one of Maine's most enchanting offshore islands. Monhegan Island's small size and isolated location, along with protected forests and marshes, provide a welcome respite for migrating birds. Hike along the island's trails to the highest ocean bluffs on the Maine coastline. With its unique access to so many species of migrating birds and a vibrant artist's colony, Monhegan is among the nation's most stunning places, with a landscape and location that make it a premier birding destination.
About the birding guide: Native Mainer, Dr. Jeff Wells, is the Senior Scientist for the Boreal Songbird Initiative. During his time at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and as the Audubon Society's National Conservation Director, Dr. Wells earned a reputation as one of the nation's leading bird experts and conservation biologists. He and his wife Allison are authors of the highly praised bird identification guide, "Maine's Favorite Birds."
Meet your guide in New Harbor at 8 a.m. and board the 9 a.m. ferry. During the 12-mile, hour-long ride to the island you're likely to spot sea birds and seals, as well as working lobstermen. After arriving on Monhegan, your guides will lead a hike and help the group find good birding spots and identify species. Enjoy a complimentary picnic lunch followed by a couple more hours of birding and exploring Monhegan's woods, marshes and breathtaking bluffs. During your ferry trip back to the mainland, you'll get one last chance to see the local seabirds and wildlife as you say good-bye to this unique island.
|Freeport, Maine||May 2014 - September 2014||Dates and times coming soon.|
What to bring:
- Cash for parking fee in New Harbor ($3)
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Weather-appropriate clothing
What we provide:
- Bird books
- Fee to ride ferry