Rated 5 out of 5 by JoefromCocomo Great fit and warm
I just received this coat. Construction looks good. The coat is very warm and keeps the wind out. Hasn't seen any rain yet. I called LL Bean, they said I can treat it with Filson's wax as needed. As others have mentioned the sleeves are long. I have 35/36 sleeve, the sleeve hits between base of thumb and knuckles. This is fine with me, the XL fits perfect, plenty of room for a sweater underneath.
January 28, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by golf47 Waxed Cotton Down Coat
Love this jacket - down warmth without the Michelin man look. Some have complained about the loden color being almost black - they must be standing in the dark. In the normal light, it's the color advertised. Rugged and our go to coat in the cold or snowy weather.
January 21, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by NJHal 3 things to know
1-sleeves are long. I have a 32 sleeve and a medium is just a tad long in the sleeves. 2-Coats care instructions do not include washer or dry cleaning. 3-Unlike other down coats, coat feels heavy and substantial when wearing.
January 14, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Logsplitter61 Great Winter Jacket
After wearing this jacket for a few weeks in cold, wet weather, I have absolutely no complaints! The jacket is warm and comfortable with the quality I have come to expect from LL Bean.
I am 6'2 and 185 pounds, and a regular large is a perfect fit.
As opposed to other reviews, my experience is that the waxed cotton fabric gives off no odor whatsoever, and the loden color is a nice dark green as portrayed in the product descriptions and pictures.
I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a good foul weather winter jacket.
January 14, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5 by willysman waterproof
I bought this coat for deer hunting due to being waterproof and having goose down. Well made coat but the color was too dark, not loden as advertised. Sleeves much too long as other reviews had noted. Collected dirt and debris like a magnet. Might be alright for casual wear but this was not my purpose. Sent it back for a refund
December 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by CatHerder Gets the job done excellently, function over form
- Not too puffy/bulky
- Excellently warm
- Performs well in the rain
- Handwarmer pockets are soft and deep
- Also has big unlined pockets perfect for holding gloves, hat, scarf
- Not ugly, per se, but not fashionable. You probably won't get compliments if you're looking for them
- Sleeves run long (I'm 5'9.5", 185 lbs, average build. coat is medium size). I resolved this by folding them back a bit
- No "hidden pocket" on the inside of the jacket. Obviously not a big deal, but every winter coat I've ever owned has had one or two and I'm sad there isn't one here
- Collar is high enough to guard against cool/cold wind and moderate chill, but you'll want a scarf for really cold, windy days
- No hood. This doesn't bother me as I don't like a hood on my winter coat, but something to keep in mind if you do
- Fit is snug enough so wind doesn't get in, but the cut of the coat is roomy enough to allow for layering underneath. Again, this makes for a less form fitting (and less sexy) coat, but when it comes to staying warm in the winter, function trumps form every time
- Haven't had the coat long enough to comment on the longevity or performance of the proofing outside of a light early winter rain
December 19, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by mikdvm review coat
I am very pleased with this coat. It exceeded my expectations.
December 11, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GardenStateGuy Everything I wanted
I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but I am wearing it all the time. I love waxed cotton - I have several such jackets - but none are insulated. This jacket is very warm and fits well. The drawcord on the waist is a good touch on windy days. I wore it in a downpour and it kept me dry without dampening the down. Although some say the sleeves are too long, they don't seem that way to me (I wear 33 inch sleeves on dress shirts. It does seem something of a dust magnet but not alarmingly so. It is a little too warm for temperatures above the high 40s. Heavier than a conventional down jacket. All in all, a wonderful product that will get me through the worst winter storms.
December 10, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by NWBirdHunter Great Jacket
Very nice jacket. They do run a little on the big size so problem with layering under it.
December 10, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by SheepdogPat This Coat Makes Wicked Good a Reality
I'm a sixty year old curmudgeon duck and deer hunter. I also have a micro dairy with Jersey Cows. I was looking for a cold weather coat that wouldn't have plastic zipper failure in one or two years or have an easily torn nylon shell. Yes the wax cotton weighs more, but it stops the wind and keeps out the moisture whether on the tractor or in the deer stand. Last Monday morning I sat for deer with the wind chill in the teens. Weather didn't shorten the hunt. Was so comfy I could have had a nice nap. Its not the right coat for upland hunting, but for what I do, great. Really good double seams where needed too. The zipper is metal and smooth as silk. Some of the reviews I read said roomy enough for a sweater underneath. I'm 6'1" and about 235. The sweater is not an option, but as warm as the coat is I can't imagine needing it. This is the first time I've bothered to write a review for a product, but the coat is as good as I like to think they were years ago.
December 7, 2014