Rated 5 out of 5áby LLBFOhio Durable and efficient with a vintage appeal
I am very happy with this bag, it is actually the second one I have purchased...new color. I have appreciated all the various compartments and probably most of all the top zip closure. Many other bags that I looked at had similar functionality but no secure closure at the top. This bag also has a front large slip pocket that is still accessible while the main compartment is closed.
It is a softer slightly slouchy bag which I like, as opposed to other stiffer bags/briefcases. I also like that the strap is adjustable and has all leather on the top with fabric for comfort on the back as opposed to an all fabric strap.I have had my first bag for more than five years and it still looks and functions perfectly. I look forward to having both for my lifetime actually!! I believe they will probably last that long.
November 27, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5áby johnny19 Leather Bag
We saw this bag when we visited the store in ME months ago. My partner has been looking for one like it but never found it. I gave it to him as a Birthday gift and he LOVES it.It is easy to get in and out of and stores all his books and papers.
October 30, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5áby Lukela Definitely not for a guy
It's a nice bag but looks like a purse. I just can't justify using this it looks so feminine. Back it goes...
August 27, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 Nice but flawed
The latch comes undone regularly. While its a nice piece of workmanship, the ease with which the flat becomes unbuckled is both bothersome and risky.
August 25, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5áby Engtchr6 Everyone loves this bag...
I am a teacher, and I purchased this bag before the beginning of the last school year to replace an older L.L. Bean canvas bag. After having used this everyday for over a year, it still looks great. Any scratches seem to disappear with a little saddle soap and if there are any as time goes on, it just adds to the character of the bag. I use this mostly to carry student work and text books with the occasional lap top. It seems to be "just right," not too big or too small. It goes great when dressing up or jeans and sneakers, but I've also used it for a day trip to NYC, and it had room for all the essentials. Everyone comments about what a nice looking bag it is, and I am totally satisfied with this purchase.
August 21, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5áby mostlypracticalshopper Best I found
I looked at many bags, ordered a few, and returned all but this one. I wanted something big to use when I travel. This was as big as I could carry without looking overwhelmed by the size. ( I am 5ft 4') It is very well made and fits easily under the airplane seat. I wear it cross body so I can have my hands free. I do wish it had a pad on the shoulder strap. It also needs another zip pocket inside. The one on the inside of the flap doesn't count - it is just weird and useless. I like to use the outside zipper pocket for my cell and boarding passes. It would be better if it were not a side pocket (it's a little awkward) but many of the bags didn't have one at all. I have only used it a couple of months but it seems it will be durable.
August 5, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5áby windinthehair Awesome Leather Bag
This bag is awesome. Beautiful supple brown leather! The latch problem is worked out, no problems with mine. The bag easily holds my 13" MacBook Pro and several other items. I easily fit two medium sized books as well. 3 books is a little too much.
Bottom line: great bag at a fair price.
July 3, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5áby Sammana14 Good quality casual bag with some design flaws
I'm a 20-something professional woman and I was looking for a rugged bag that was also nice enough to wear with a suit for carrying my laptop, etc. to work. I bought this and the Leather Rangeley Messenger (see my review there). I ultimately returned this bag, but I did think it was nice... just a few design flaws. My thoughts:
- Like some other reviewers mentioned, the color is more like a saddle than a true brown. It's beautiful in person and could be worn with either black or brown.
- The bag is very nice but I'm not sure it could be worn with a suit. It would look great with everything from regular non-suit business attire to jeans.
- The size is great. Even though it doesn't have a laptop compartment, my 11 inch laptop slid beautifully into the pocket just in front of the main compartment (although there's no padding or velcro tab to hold it there). The bag itself is big enough to carry everything I'd want to bring with me - notebooks, files, waterbottle, everything from my purse, etc.
- Maybe it's just me, but the pocket placement is very odd on this bag. The sideways pocket on the back is tough to get into unless you take off the bag, as is the zip pocket on the interior of the flap. There is a pocket just in front of the main compartment, but it doesn't have a closure. Ultimately, that leaves you with only one usable pocket on the interior of the main compartment, other than the credit card/cell phone/pen slots. I do really like that it has a key chain, though.
- The construction is good but ultimately it's not as sturdy as the Leather Rangeley Messenger. It doesn't stand up on it's own and is pretty slouchy unless it's full. I like the canvas reinforced strap but I worry that over time the buckle portion (which is not reinforced) will degrade. I didn't have any problems with the front buckle but I returned the bag before subjecting it to everyday use. I did really like that it has a handle at the top so you don't always have to use the strap.
- There were some natural variations in the leather which made some parts of the bag look bulge-y, but I suppose that's to be expected. My bag also arrived with two pen marks - one on the front, one on the back.
In short, I really liked this bag but it lost out to the Rangeley Leather Messenger because I was looking for something more sturdy, professional ,and... intuitive. I do think this would make a great bag for a student or someone who worked in a more casual business environment.
June 7, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5áby textilejunkie delicious luxury
...love...love...love this bag...heavy, luxurious, pebbley leather..pockets galore and clinky silver hardware...oh my god...it's to DIE for....been buying from beans for years...never a disappointment...
(just as an aside, consumers please stress the importance of buying american...i'm canadian, but we love americans...i looked but don't know if this bag was made in america...i hope so...support american artisans...(and canadian too of course..lol)....absolutely mad about well made stuff...so happy
February 22, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5áby kinlil Suitcase
It's hard to imagine how something will look even when you have the dimensions. This was like a suitcase and I immediately returned it.
February 5, 2013