L.L.Bean Rings in the Holidays with 8th Annual Northern Lights Celebration in Freeport, Maine
A lighting of one of the largest Christmas trees in Maine, spectacular musical light shows and free entertainment and family activities every weekend headline the season-long holiday celebration
Freeport, ME, November 13, 2013 –– L.L.Bean will ring in the holidays on Friday, November 22 at 6:45 p.m. with an amazing Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in Discovery Park, adjacent to the flagship store on Main Street in Freeport, Maine. Thousands of handstrung lights on one of the largest Christmas trees in Maine, along with a spectacular Musical Holiday Light Show, are sure to delight families and kids of all ages. Live holiday music from the Fogcutters and one of the most exciting juggling acts in the country, Matthew and Jason Tardy, will provide the entertainment.
The fun will continue all season long with L.L.Bean's 8th annual Northern Lights Celebration – a series of events including horse-drawn wagon rides, live performances, spectacular light displays, sled dogs and more. A Musical Holiday Light Show featuring a swirl of choreographed lights and visual effects synchronized to music will dazzle onlookers each half-hour from 5-9 p.m. beginning Friday, November 22, and continuing through the end of the year. L.L.Bean will ring in the new year on New Year's Eve with a fireworks display and free entertainment and activities for the whole family.
"L.L.Bean's Northern Lights celebration has become a holiday tradition for hundreds and hundreds of families in Maine and beyond," said Ken Kacere, L.L.Bean's Senior Vice-President for Retail. "For many, the holidays would not be the same without a trip to Freeport and we've worked hard to provide a dynamic experience that folks won't soon forget."
Special holiday happenings throughout the season include:
- Friday, Nov. 22–Sunday, Nov. 24: Winter Coats for Seniors – For the 6th year, L.L.Bean and the Maine Triad chapters will host a coat drive for seniors, collecting gently used coats for Maine's older citizens with the support of Maine Area Agencies on Aging. For every coat received, L.L.Bean will provide a matching donation of $5 to the campaign. Drop boxes are located in the L.L.Bean Discovery Lobby at the flagship campus.
- Weekends, Nov. 23-Dec. 22, 1-7 p.m.: FREE Old Fashioned Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides – Explore the village at a slower pace while experiencing an old-time tradition.
- Friday, Nov. 29, 12:01 a.m.: Freeport's Moonlight Madness Shopping Celebration - Stay up late for a midnight fun run, plus activities and special discounts all over town.
- Friday, Dec. 6-Sunday, Dec. 8: Freeport's Sparkle Weekend – Enjoy a holiday parade, delicious treats and fun activities throughout Freeport, all weekend long.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.: KidNight New Year's Eve Celebration – Start the fun early with L.L.Bean's family-friendly event, including crafts, live music with Rick Charette and a wintertime fireworks display.
All Northern Lights activities are free and open to the public. For more information about L.L.Bean’s Northern Lights Celebration visit llbean.com/northernlights.
L.L.Bean, Inc. is a leading multichannel merchant of quality outdoor gear and apparel. Founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean, the company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe. While its business has grown substantially, the company remains committed to the same honest principles upon which it was built – a focus on the customer, continuous product improvement and innovation, respect for people, preservation of the natural environment and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. L.L.Bean products are rigorously tested, guaranteed to last and always shipped free. The 220,000 sq. ft. flagship campus of stores in Freeport, Maine, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and welcomes more than 3 million visitors each year. L.L.Bean can be found worldwide at llbean.com. Join L.L.Bean on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.